Want a simple, healthy sweet treat to take to a holiday celebration? Why not whip up this Courgette and Orange Cake, a recipe courtesy of Monica Braga and her Abu Dhabi-based business, Moni’s Healthy Choice. Using buckwheat instead of white flour, coconut sugar and yoghurt instead of refined and dairy, it hits all the healthy notes. And keep an eye on Braga: she’s cooking something up for the new year.
Moni’s Healthy Choice Courgette & Orange Cake
300g courgette, grated and water drained
150g buckwheat flour
3 tsp baking powder
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
60g sunflower oil
200g coconut sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
¼ tsp himalayan salt
2 tsp orange zest and 2 tbsp orange juice
150g coconut yoghurt
1 orange juice and zest
2 tbsp coconut sugar
2 sprigs of thyme
Extra orange zest for the topping
1) Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a loaf tin with baking parchment.
2) Sieve all the dried ingredients into a bowl (except the polenta) and set aside.
3) In another bowl add the sugar and oil and using a hand-held mixer, beat until creamy. Then add the eggs, one by one, continuously beating, adding the vanilla and mix again.
4) Add the dry ingredients you set aside, as well as the courgette, thyme, orange zest and juice, and combine gently but well with a spatula.
5) Pour the mixture into a loaf tin and bake for 35-40 minutes.
1) Place in a saucepan the orange juice, thyme and sugar on a lower heat until the sugar has dissolved and reduced to liquid. Set aside.
2) Beat the yoghurt to a creamy consistency, then pour in the glaze and mix well.
3) Drizzle on top of the cooled cake.
4) Garnish with orange zest, thyme chopped and serve.
Featured photo Unsplash.