Kamilla Omarzay launched her business, The Snack Society, back in 2016 after losing a job – and changing her diet on realizing that gluten and dairy were causing her digestive issues. Although she’s back at work, this autumn the Afghanistan-born, Dubai-raised Omarzay will release her first cookbook and is also working to have the luscious clean treats she whips up on YouTube and Instagram for sale in stores. Here, in honor of date season, she shares a recipe for her Cookie Dough Squares.
Ingredients for the cookie dough:
- 1.5 cups almond flour
- 1.5 cup full gluten-free oat flour
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla powder
Ingredients for the caramel filling:
- 2 cups firmly packed dates
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 tbsp almond butter
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
Ingredients for the chocolate topping:
- 45 grams cacao butter (this is 1/3 cup when melted)
- 3 tbsp cacao powder
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- Pinch of salt
- Start by mixing all the ingredients for the cookie dough in a food processor. You can also mix this in a bowl using your hands or a spoon.
- Line a small baking tray with baking paper and press this mixture down and even it out with the back of a clean spoon. Place this in the freezer while you make the caramel layer.
- Pour all the ingredients for the salted caramel into a food processor and mix well until it makes a paste. Make sure the dates are pitted.
- Pour the caramel layer over the cookie dough and spread the mix evenly across the base. This may be hard as date mixture is quite sticky. I used my hand for this and the back of a spoon. Place this in the freezer while you make the chocolate.
- Place a small pan on very low heat and pour all the ingredients for the chocolate layer into the pan and allow it to melt while mixing it with a fork or a hand whisker.
- Allow the chocolate to cool down a little and pour it over the caramel. Keep in the fridge for about 15 minutes for the chocolate to harden and slice whichever way you prefer.